Dear 13 year old me,
So, you’re about to embark on your teenage years, they’ll be tough, there will be changes, you’ll have your heart broken, you’ll make life changing decisions, but you’ll also have a lot of fun and make friends that will still be with you when you’re 30.
- Purple satin shirts and patchwork jeans aren’t a good look. Neither is blue eyeliner and/or mascara. Don’t do it.
- You’re parents do understand you, they were teenagers once too. Stop fighting them so hard and just talk to them. And stop leaving them letters at the top of the stairs!
- You probably won’t want to be an actress in ten years, maybe study something with more transferrable skills?
- That boy, the one with the curtains and the clear blue eyes? Yeah, walk away now. He’ll hurt you and that hurt will follow you into adulthood. He’ll hurt you again at 22 because you won’t have learned from the first time (or the second, third, fourth…). He’s not your Mr Big (that reference will make sense in a few years).
- The people you’re trying to impress are not worth it either. You won’t even remember their names by the time you hit your 20s. You’ll forget who you are if you spend too much time trying to be someone else.
- In a few years’ time you’ll want to wear a string vest on holiday. Don’t do it. That picture will haunt you. Leave it to Rab C Nesbitt.
- It’s okay to make mistakes. You learn from them. Some of your most valuable life lessons will come from screwing up – big time. Just don’t do them on purpose. Then it’s not a mistake.
- That group of girls you’re friends with? Yeah, they’ll be there for life. You’re stuck with them, but that’s okay.
- Have hobbies. Try everything. Why not? It’ll make you a more interesting person.
- Enjoy it. If you spend less time worrying what people who don’t matter think, you’ll enjoy yourself a whole lot more. This is the only time in your life when you have no real responsibilities, so make the most of it.
Lots of luv,
30 year old me (yep, I know, so old!)
What advice would you give to your 13 year old self?
NB. This post was inspired by Hannah Gale’s excerpts from her teenage diaries. Go and have a read! She also writes a good list.